Thursday, November 8, 2012

Apple Strudel ("not the apple pie, please"):

Ok, yes, I skipped my Tuesday Fashion tips and focused on raking our leaves (gosh will I have toned arms) before the snow fall (my son was actually a great help) and baking!
Comfort winter baking would be for a lot of you .. the famous american "apple pie" but I don't know how to make it. Besides, the strudel my Mom makes is the best (subjectively speaking).

A girlfriend recently told me that on her way home from work she could not stop thinking about my strudel and she asked for the recipe. Voila here it is!

So you have a choice, getting the flake puff pastry from your local bakery fresh or just keep some in your freezer (ternderflake):

Roll the dough out into a rectangular shape and quite thin but not too thin...smiles.

FOR 2 strudels:

Prepare your peeled & grated (7 medium-large) apples into a bowl,
ADD
1 tsp corn starch
2 tbsp vanilla sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
pinch of cloves
1 tbsp squeezed lemon juice
OPTIONAL
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or raisins

Blend together well and place on top of each rolled out pastry.

Close it up as a good surgeon would do (I use metal picks to keep it in place while baking).
Brush the top with one egg yolk.

And preheated 350F oven should do the job in 45 minutes ...bake until golden brown in colour.

You may add your own vanilla sauce when serving it or icecream or keep it simple!
Bon appetite!
XO Z

6 comments:

  1. The strudel looks absolutely delicious, and what an orderly garden and charming helper you have in his cosy hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me here Zane and I'm so going to make this strudel. I like flaky over our heavy American apple pie. Your son is a very good helper, thankfully we finally have all our leaves up.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha de estar Buenisima!!!!

    Besss.

    Manoli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness! This looks delicious .. What's there not to love?!
    Darling photo of your little one :)

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing..truly!! I'm actually jealous that you got such a great workout raking your leaves. I've been sitting around getting a little plump from hibernation.
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to pop over again and say I miss your posts!!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete